Kean on Exchange

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Salvador, Brazil

The next day I flew to Salvador. Salvador is known for the more commercialized type of Carnaval where you have to buy tickets for the blocos parties. The tickets are called abadas which are tshirts that you wear to the party. In Salvador they play the axe and dance pagogy which is pretty trippy dance. I was staying with another friend of a friend Luter. Luter and Kevin were incredible and showed me around and made sure my stay was as good as possible. On top of that, they spoke perfect English. I don`t know where I get this incredible luck.

That night we went out to the Salvador Carnaval. We decided to do ``popcorn`` which is what Brazilians say for not getting a ticket and walking beside the trucks (blocos parties). Each truck has a singer or band that plays and the people with the abadas follow beside the giant trucks within security and a giant rope. People without abadas can follow outside of the rope. In my opinion this is pretty much the same but it is more dangerous to do this and apparently it`s easier to meet girls. In fact, my friend Luter got punched in the face by some random guy who was looking for a fight. This is a common thing in Salvador Carnaval. I was lucky to avoid all conflicts but I did see a lot of fights. If you do get into a fight the cops will beat you up and bring you to jail so this was a very good thing I avoided anything. Since it was very crowded I managed to lose Luter, Kevin and the rest of the guys every night, haha. Good thing Luter lived close to the grounds. The first morning was tough to find his place. In fact, a car of random girls stopped and offered to give me a ride while I was walking on the sidewalk but I wasn`t in the mood to get kidnapped in Brazil. Plus, I had two more nights of Carnaval to go.

So I was supposed to leave Salvador for Rio on the last day of Carnaval but I found out some of the biggest DJ`s (Armin Van Buuren, Pete Tong and David Guetta) in the world was playing in one of the blocos parties. This was a chance of a lifetime and there was no way I was going to miss it. Plus, I got to see if for free. Thank you popcorn! That was such an amazing night. We actually met 40 Israeli soldiers that came all the way there just for the show. Man do those guys know how to party. You could not beat that atmosphere though. I knew from the start it was going to be one of those nights that you talk about for years. It definitely was.

So three nights in Salvador, I partied past sunrise, had some incredible nights, had some interesting conversations with girls that didn`t speak English utilizing my Portuguese-Italian-Spanish-French vocabulary skills. It was pretty interesting. So which one do I think was better? Recife-Olinda was truly amazing and it really opened my eyes to what Carnaval really is but you can`t beat Salvador. Sorry Andre, Vao and Bruno. Salvador is just soooo epic. I don`t think I will ever experience a party larger than that. I don`t know if it`s possible. Oh, and word of advice, if you get someone`s number get her to right it on your hand. People will steal anything out of your pocket even phone numbers. Worse mistake ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home